What is Raise the Bar Academy?
For the fourth consecutive year, Athletics Australia and the University of Melbourne will come together to host
the Raise the Bar Academy. RTBA is a pathway Academy for Australian Indigenous secondary school students
(Years 10, 11 and 12) who aspire to participate in athletics and study at university.
As a senior Indigenous secondary school student…What’s in it for me?
- Get on track to start the school year right
- Be inspired by peers just like you
- Meet new friends
- Learn from some of Australia’s best athletes who are excelling in all areas of their lives, not just in the sports arena
- Find out how to pursue University education at Australia’s leading academic and research institution, The University of Melbourne
- Train with the best in athletics
The Raise the Bar Academy will give you a great start to the school year by supporting you in your efforts to ‘Raise the Bar’ in every aspect of your life. This residential camp will help you elevate your ambitions to pursue a university degree and continue participating in athletics.
The FREE program, including air travel, ground transfers, accommodation and meals, consists of a four-day summer residence camp at the University of Melbourne, VIC, from 15-19 January, 2018.
By participating in the program, RTBA participants will:
- Gain knowledge and skills in athletics - (track and field) as both an athlete and a coach
- Develop their community leadership potential and deepen their passion for athletics and sport
- Be inspired to successfully complete secondary school and pursue further education
- Gain knowledge and skills to pursue tertiary education pathways
- Be mentored by current Australian Olympians and elite athletes
- Connect with sports industry professionals
- Establish links with other students so they can share knowledge and experience
- Meet new friends
- Have fun
Raise the Bar Objectives
1. To inspire and develop the capacity of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander secondary school
students to pursue lifelong participation in and enjoyment of athletics.
2. Expose Indigenous secondary school students to education pathways offered at the University
Raise the Bar Vision
Raise the Bar participants will return to community determined to continue their education beyond secondary
school; participate in athletics as a life-long pursuit; be proud about their cultural heritage and excited about
Applications for the 2018 Raise the Bar Academy have now closed.