Athletics Australia has today (Friday 15 January 2016) published the Updated Selection Policy for the IAAF World Race Walking Team Championships following the confirmation of the date and venue by the IAAF.
This follows the decision by the IAAF to suspend the All-Russian Athletics Federation, announced in November 2015. As a consequence, their right to host the World Race Walking Team Championships was revoked.
This document sets out the basis on which Athletics Australia intends to select its Team for the IAAF World Race Walking Team Championships, subject to the IAAF confirming the final event details.
The aim of Athletics Australia’s Selection Policy for the World Race Walking Teams Championships is to nominate a quality team to represent Australia. The policy is aligned with the Athletics Australia Strategic Plan (2013-2016) and with the Australian Institute of Sport Winning Edge Program.
Specifically the policy aims to facilitate the following outcomes:
- Selecting athletes that are realistic medal contenders at the World Race Walking Team Championships, and;
- Providing major Championships experience to potential future Olympic and World Championships finalists (top eight places)
The key amendments to the policy are:
- The inclusion of the venue (Rome, Italy)
- Confirmation of the original date (7-8 May 2016)
- Change to selection date of men's 50km event (week beginning 22 February 2016)
- Confirmation of deadline for junior athletes to apply for permission to compete in both this Championship and World U20 Championship (31 January 2016)
Selection Policy Online NominationQualified Athletes